Wednesday 10 November 2010

Apple and Carrot Muffins

For some reason, I've been obsessed with finding an apple and carrot muffin recipe.
Maybe because I have a ridiculous amount of muffin tins, and carrots.

There was one on Year of Veggies blog (Written by Katie of HappyGirlHair) but unfortunately, she closed it down and I couldn't find one I liked enough.

So I did like I usually do and made it up got creative! They were really nice, though I put too much cinnamon in, so I rectified it on this recipe. Also, I feel they would be lovely as cupcakes with some sort of cream cheese frosting/icing. And I hate cheese.

Ingredients:

3 medium eggs
3/4 cup/180ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1.5 cup/190g of flour
1.25 cup/225g sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt
0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1.5 cups/225g sultanas/raisins
2 cups/4 medium carrots, grated
2 apples, grated or chopped
Lemon juice (optional)


Quick note: If you chop the apples before they're needed, they may go brown. To prevent this, you can put the in the fridge or squeeze some lemon juice over them. I don't think it'll affect the taste too much.

You will also need muffin cases and a deep, 12-muffin tin. None of those shallow fairy cake tins that like to pretend they are muffin cases having a bit of a lie down please.

Preheat your oven to 200 Degrees Celsius/400 Degrees Fahrenheit/Gas Mark 6

Then, break the eggs into a bowl and then beat/whip/whisk them.



Then add the oil and the vanilla essence...






And beat/whip/whisk them too!

Mix in the sugar, then fold (read: gently mix) in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

It should be quite thick by now - but not stodgey.
Then, in goes the grated carrot ...
and the apples and the raisins!
Stir it in, stiiir it in!

Whoa. Dude. What kinda angle did I take that picture from? What was I doing?
Anyways, incredibly impossible gymnastics aside, you need to equally divide the mixture between the muffin cases evenly. Make sure they don't reach the top of the case or you will end up with a Mega Marauding Muffin of...er, Mushrooming Madness.
Then bake in the lovely, already hot oven for 25-30 minutes.

Take out, and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Or eat whilst still roastingly hot and make various innuendos about 'hot muffins'.

Don't let your friends steal your last muffin, no matter how much carrot they grated.
Oi! I said paws off!
Gollum voice: Mmm....my precious, precious, muffin!


3 comments:

  1. I bet your house smelled AWESOME after baking that. They are probably really moist. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really lovely and sticky. And not only my house - me and my helpers smelt like cinnamon for days after too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)