Wednesday 8 June 2011

Pajama Hair

After having taken down the braids, I was at a bit of a loss as to what I should do to my hair. After three days of having my hair out, I was done and wanted something a little bit less conspicuous, a little bit less effort and a heck of a lot more casual.

Something that matched the comfy clothes, like the tracksuit or pair of shorts you lounge around in when you're at home by yourself with nowhere to go, or when you've woken up and just relax in your pajamas, because there's nothing else to do.

I know for majority of people, these days don't happen very often. But while I was at home by myself, revising for another two weeks, I didn't really want to have fabulous hair because...well, it was a waste.

I know for a fact that my duvet does not appreciate the effort one may try and put into a twist out.

So this is my 'pajama' hair style.

Two massive French plaits, one on each side side.

Like Pippi Longstocking. But not as red.

It's simple and easy and quick and protective, both on the ends and manipulation side of things.

If it doesn't look right, because your cornrow game isn't up to par, like mine, then you can just cover it in a scarf and be done with it.






And then two smaller plaits (or twists, I was just trying to practise  plaiting a bit more) at the front to use my my fringe hair.

The nice thing about this style is that it's easy to 'pretty' up if you've got 10 minutes to throw on some underwear, non loungey clothes and have to run out of the house somewhere. Like so:

The ends were simply pinned over each other in a criss cross style using two hair pins.
Why I decided to use brown ones, I know not.

I've worn the French braids in two loops, and then used a hair band on each loop to keep it them in place. Easy to decorate with clips or  flowers or skulls and crossbones - whatever cute you're into.


You can use Scunci ouchless bands to create the loops, because they don't have the metal bits that cause excessive sagging. However, I find that continual daily use of them may still result in hair being pulled out since tighter coiling hair will find it a joy to wrap around them and then be ripped out. You have been warned.

They can be found in Sainsburys, Boots and the like. The band I'm using in the above picture isn't Scunci, it's just a hair bobble I got from some random hair shop.


Or you could let it all hang out. This was fine for me for a couple of hours, but constant shoulder shaking (because I'm so funny I can't help it) means that the ends of my plaits/braids end up pointing in various directions.

The pajama style usually lasts me 3 or 4 days, if I wear a satin scarf at night to lay the fluff down, before I take it down, remoisturise and then put them back up.

Viva la comfort!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful masahllah all the same even if bedtime plaits! I have been natural 4months. I cut my hair off to grade2. It hasnt been easy looking like this boyish but 4months on progress thank God is taking place. have you always been natural?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do without the pajama style! My brother brother always laughs at me when I have my hair in huge plaits but I can't do canerow so it'll have to do :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sanaa: Shukran! (I'm afraid that's as far as my pitiful arabic goes)...Nope, I haven't always been natural, I just started...oh wow, it was the summer of 2007 that I had my last relaxer. So it's still kind of new, though I guess I'm venturing into veteran territory....

    @Serenity Spot: He may laugh, but just tell him that haters gonna hate! :)

    @Dee: Thank you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)