Friday 18 October 2013

On Repeat: Temi Dollface


I wouldn't call myself a dancer, but I love moving. Those who know me  personally are accustomed to seeing me sway, bop or jiggle to music in my head on the street. So when I hear a tune that makes me want to move and shake even more unabashedly than usual, I just have to share it.


 Temi Dollface's 'Pata Pata' (means 'total' or 'absolute') has a beautifully bright video, with 1950s fashion intersecting with more traditional African styles. And the music? Eurgh, I love it! - a deliciously thick and modern bass, that somehow still manages to remind me of the Afrobeat records my dad played when I was a little girl. Her voice and lyrics are an awesome mix of spunky wit, effortless sophistication and honey.

Basically, this song is a whole heap of fun and I'm obsessed.



Oh, and go here for her silk-smooth re-doing of Teenage Dirtbag.
Thanks to Chai for sharing first!

4 comments:

  1. Great find. I literally just found out about antenna the other day. I do like the mix of African with something else, it is very innovative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antenna by Fuse ODG? My laptop's speakers have gone kaput, so I can't reacquaint myself, haha. I love the emerging music scene, of musicians whose influences come from their parents and other experiences. Its so exciting!

      Delete
  2. lovely video

    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)