Monday 31 January 2011

Twistout Bangs and a Handmade Hat

Under my hat, under my satin scarf, I have my hair in big medium twists, having *finally* taken down and det-tangled my previous sets of twists.

 
Yes, my hair is shorter. I'll talk about that later this week.

Seriously. I know I say this all the time, but I'm  not going to do another set of smallish twists for a looooooong time!

Anyhoo, as usual, my bangs are present for the world to see, so I simply undid the twists in front, separated them a little and then pinned them to the side.




The flower is from Claire's Accessories - 2 for £3.50 (well, it was before VAT went up).
The hat, I love. Because it is pretty and it is bright and I made it myself.



Yes that's right! With my own hands (and a crochet hook and a ball of yarn).

View from the top
The pattern can be found here.
It uses American terms, so if you've learnt the British terms, you might want to take a look here to see the translation.
I had some problems with the FPdc instruction, so I checked out this video.
The yarn I used wasn't the recommended one, but it was 100g of double knit and I got it from my local shop for about £2.49. 
I still have quite a bit left, so I might use it to make a Valentine's gift for Lady V or the Faerie :)
It took me about 4 days, in between other things I was doing. I think I modified it, and added about 2 more rounds after rnd20 to make it a little tighter.

You need 2 crochet hooks, sizes 4.50mm and 5.00mm (or US sizes 7 and 8[H]). You can get away with just using the smaller sized hook if you're pressed with money.
They usually cost about £1.50 each, so this hat cost me £3.99 (seeing as I've used the hooks more than once).

If you're a beginner, and the Phannie hat looks way too complicated, you can try the Threadbangers hat tutorial, which requires a size 6mm (J) crochet hook. That one only took me a day to do, but that was of constantly crocheting. If you're completely new to crocheting, but want to get started, you can take a look at their How-to video here.

Happy crafting! 

2 comments:

  1. The hat is very pretty! I am a crocheter myself and enjoy seeing the works of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you! ^_^ I'd love to see your projects as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)