Wednesday 30 December 2015

It's complicated

I've fallen out a little bit with Alikay Naturals because of their shampoo.




The ingredients on the site (not all are listed on the sample bottle) read as so:

Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera juice), Vegetable Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk Powder, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary oil), Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Botanical Blend Ingredients.

My first impressions were along the lines of this:

1. Phew! These are all ingredients I've used before.

2. It's really foamy. Where is the foaming agent in the ingredient list?

3. What's that weird white thing floating in it? Is it a undissolved solute of some kind? How concentrated is this?

4. Is it supposed to be this colour? That's different from the website.

I used it once and the next day, my left eye was really itchy and kept watering. I was a little bit put out because I'd had this exact same reaction to a completely different shampoo (Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Color Shampoo) whose ingredient list looks like this:

Source - I threw my bottle away two years ago!

The only ingredient they have in common according tot heir lists is water! And heaven known I'm not allergic to that. The fragrances are also completely different, so I'm still at sea as to what I have an issue with.

This is not an attack on Antidote Street - their delivery packaging and all round service is second to none. I LOVED ordering from them and am very excited to do so in the future.

Really, my problem is with the producer's labelling - like, what is in there that I cannot use?

It's hard not to feel that more transparent labelling choices would have helped me out big time in the future. As such - back to the drawing board.


2 comments:

  1. That's quite interesting. Perhaps you should keep a running list of ingredients in the products you can use and see what's extra in the one you can't. My SIL found out that argan oil was her culprit. Since it's popular now, it's found in so many products. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - it's funny, because you'd think the more 'natural' ingredients would be safer, but I guess that's not always true. I'm definitely keeping an eye out, to find that allusive 'itch' ingredient - though it's acting as massive motivation to cut out and slim down my product usage instead!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)