Friday 8 August 2014

Friday Fave: John Green's Crash Course World History

I am an accredited nerd.

 I made myself a badge a few years ago declaring this fact and wherever it is, I will look for it. I will find it and I will show you.

(If you say the above in a Liam Neeson voice, it makes a lot more sense).

I especially love history.

Not the boring dates history, but the history that details people's lives - the glamour, the despair, the battles. I love seeing the creative innovations of civilisations we would think of as far more basic than ours, and the parallels between their lives then and how we live now.

It's mind-bogglingly fascinating.

So when I stumbled upon John Green's Crash Course history channel on youtube, I was hooked instantly (especially in this video, where he acknowledges and discusses historical bias. Yesss! From a historical and not taking-the-mick point of view, I hate the film 300 for the blatant historical bias on almost every front imaginable because of Frank Miller's own prejudices. Eurgh.) and the fact that it's a history course that looks at the world instead of just what Europeans were doing until they became Americans and then the things that happened in those two areas...blah blah blah.

Enough already! Tell me about the religious happenings in West Africa more than 1000 years ago!

 It's the perfect mix of knowledge, randomness and has a lovely, quirky cartoon style that keep my attention. I love the geeky references - to Harry Potter, Mario Kart and other cultural references for those who spend too much time on the internet.

Also, it's got excellent and accurate subtitles for those who may be hard of hearing or who don't speak English as their first language and need to look up vocabulary.

At this moment in time, I've watched up to number 17 23 36 40 all the episodes in the World History 101 series.

Huh, maybe I should focus on my blog more than watching youtube videos other people have made....? Nah!

Have a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)